Thursday, December 31, 2015

What's In My Hangar - 2015 Edition

A year and a half ago, I did a snapshot review of the ships I have fitted up in all of Talvorian’s ship hangars. It was an idea I stole wholesale from Ripard Teg; he used to do it every year, and I thought it was such an interesting idea I decided to take it for myself. The differences between this post and the last one are striking to say the least!

Unlike Ripard, though, I don’t name my ships anything interesting. I’ll chronically terrible at identifying ships by their icons, so I use their names and a group of different icons to help me remember which are fleet, gang, and solo ships. It really helps sift through why I bought them in the first place.

So, without further ado, here we are:


Archon. A boot-fit Archon for TISHU fleets. This is a pretty traditional fit, along with all of the dozens of backup modules you need to keep flexible.

Cerberus. Also a fleet-fit, pretty useless on its own given its current fit and meant to survive long enough to continually apply its damage.

Cynabal. Fleet-fit with arty cannons for hit-and-run fleets.

Hurricane Fleet Issue. Ah, memories… I used to love the old Hurricanes, and this one holds to that old style. Much more expensive, though, for the same results. Fleet-fit.

Legion. Brick-tank for fleet fits, with beam lasers.

Machariel. The legendary TISHU mach… a fearsome beast to behold by all those who fight it!

Mega Navy Issue. A brutal beast that absolutely ravages anything at close range, meant more for killing caps than anything else.

Naglfar. Ready for siege and full of stront, this is the go-to for heavy hitting.

Proteus. My final fleet-fit ship, this rail Prot has a tremendous tank as well as a great resist profile.

Buzzard and Helios. Two scanning ships meant for probing down wormholes with maximum efficiency.

Auguror Navy Issue. This is the first in a series of ships that can do well both a solo boats and for small gangs.It as a strong resist profile, but does best with good target selection.

Brutix Navy Issue. The hull-tanked beast, capable of killing small ships and surviving long enough to wait out aggro and escape. A total monster.

Omen Navy Issue. A shield-based kiter, this one actually flies similar to a Cynabal.

Rapier. Yep, that Rapier, though now fit with missiles per the shift in weapon platform. It does more damage without any other trade-offs.The change this year is in me only owning one of them.

Sacrilege. Fit with a defensive web and neut and a target painter, this beast obliterates smaller ships.

Vagabond. XL ASB version that retains its kiting lineage.

Bifrost. A triple-ASB version that completely ignores its purpose. That’s right… triple ASB. Starting with this ship, all that follow are meant for solo roaming.

Brutix. Fit with a micro-jump drive and built to wreck tackle, this ship is meant to kill anything that can stop it moonwalking out, then moonwalk out.

Confessor. I’m down to one of these, but that’s only because I haven’t gotten a shipment in a while. T3Ds are my go-to ships for hunting since they can easily fit an expanded probe launcher on them. You don’t need survivability when you can pick your targets.

Cruor. I went through a phase when I tried out all of the pirate frigates again. I lost a Daredevil and Dramiel I never bothered to replace, and the Cruor is the only remaining survivor. This one is here more as an artifact than a normal-use ship.

Harpy. Dual ASB… I make sure to have at least one at all times.

Hecate. Dual faction rep fueled by a cap booster, this is one I’d like to use more, but I find myself turned off by the kinetic lock on the guns.

Jaguar. I have both a tracking disruptor-fit version and a web version. The former is for killing larger ships, the latter for killing smaller ships. This is the only other assault frigate I own, other than the Harpy.

Crucifier Navy Issue. I love tracking disruptors, so when I heard we were getting a faction Crucifier that could do 200 dps, I was in. This version is active-tanked.

Pontifex. Unlike the Bifrost, this one DOES take advantage of the micro jump field generator, and is meant to maximize dps to move ships, then smash them.

Prophecy. MJD-fit, following the same principle as the Brutix.

Proteus. The same cloaky prober I’ve had for quite some time, this little ship is the best one available for killing mission or escalation runners.

Stork. I just bought two of these yesterday; these fits are triple-ASB as well, and enjoy a better thank than the Bifrost as a result of the extra mid slot. It sacrifices the DCU, though, which means that once the ASBs run out, it crumples.

Vexor. Dual-web version that gets up on tackle and melts them. It doesn’t do well against blobs, though, as the single repper is quickly overpowered.

Vexor Navy Issue. A kiter, this one is fit with plenty of neuts and a cap booster to shut down anything that gets too close, then kill it with drones.

Worm. I haven’t flown this since the December 8 changes to the ship, other than to remove the DCU. It’s a dual ASB version, though, so not much really changed.

Sentinel. Purely a fleet-assist ship, this one is meant to provide TD support from range. If something gets close, I have defensive neuts to shut them down.

Astero. Designed specifically to target Guristas ratters, this beast is easy to underestimate at first. The psychological effect is part of the point; initially, ships can tank it well, but once the neuts siphon off all of a target’s cap, it crumples quickly.

Heretic. A standard interdictor, this one is great for catching targets on pipes. I’ve recently gotten lots of kills with this one, and will probably buy more once it dies.

And, that’s it. Sure, my alts have expensive ratting ships, haulers, etc. But this is what’s in Talvorian’s hangar right now. Gone are many of the assault frigates – no more Wolf, Retribution, or Vengeance. Also gone are many of the battlecruisers – the Tornado, Talos, Myrmidon, Sleipnir, and two of the Vagabonds. And with no more need to grind security status, I’ve also lost the afktar.

Another interesting change from this year is my shedding of carriers. At one point in the year, I had four carriers, including three set up to run missions. That was a very short-lived initiative, though. I'd like to say the jump changes were responsible for my drop in capital count, but in reality it was a decision borne from not living out of sov stations anymore. Now, I don't need to fear having assets locked in a hostile station. I can move ships out more leisurely now.

You’ll also note the lack of very many T1 ships. Now that my budget is a little higher, I’m willing to spend a bit more. But – just as importantly – I also have two more years’ experience avoiding death. That’s a huge benefit to your wallet. In poker, there’s a phrase; good players don’t win big, they lose small. And that’s certainly true in Eve as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment