My photo

I focus almost exclusively on PvP, whether solo, small gang, or large bloc warfare. In the past, I've been a miner, mission runner, and faction warfare jockey. I'm particularly interested in helping high-sec players get into 0.0 combat.

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Happy Birthday to Talvorian


On January 12, 2009, Talvorian Dex stepped out of surgery and began his life as an immortal capsuleer. Back them, I knew nothing about the game, only that my brother-in-law loved flying an interceptor.  I didn’t want to travel too far from my home system for fear that I wouldn’t have enough “fuel” (capacitor) for the return trip.

I didn’t know capacitor recharged. I didn’t know anything about null-sec and was generally leery of PvP as a whole. My only MMO experience was some Lineage II, where twitch reflexes and overwhelming alpha strike were the recipe for victory.

I was as green as any newbie, and asking all the same questions.  And I stopped playing for more than two years.

My real life in Eve started around early March 2011, when my last continuous subscription run began. I dedicated myself to becoming a capable solo PvPer. I faced my crisis point when I faced loss after frustrating loss, and began to wonder whether I had it in me to do it well. I knew nothing about fight selection or the tempo of an engagement. I was ignorant – without knowledge.

But I did have a drive to learn, and a willingness to look at my decisions, actions, and preconceptions.  I was willing to change and become better.  And today, while I don’t know everything, I know more than I did back then.

I had a lot of help from the community, from bloggers, and from corpmates. In the process, I made friends and learned that while I’m not anything particularly special, in that ordinariness was something worth writing about – the daily struggle to meet this challenge and try to do better the next time, to never think I had “made it”, to never stop assessing whether I’m doing the right thing.


But it all began on January 12, 2009, seven years ago.

1 comment:

  1. A Person can merely enjoy two occasions relating to him/her personally.
    One, is Birthday - a day in a year.
    Another, is Marriage Day - A Day in a Lifetime.
    Both are most precious ones, which stay memorable for a long time.

    I wish you a very very Happy Birthday to you.

    ReplyDelete