First, let's dig into the details:
- Subscribed accounts (ie. all of us playing today), will be considered "omega clones" and have the same full functionality.
- Free-to-play accounts will be designated "alpha clones" and have severe limitations on sp use and training, capping out at around 5 million sp (an eligible skill list is included in the devblog).
- Skill extraction will not be allowed for alpha clones.
- Alpha clones will only be able to train the skills for their particular race (ie. Amarr characters can only train Amarr skills).
- There is no current plan to limit concurrent logins between alpha and omega accounts, but CCP is going to look at this.
- A subscribed account that lapses and becomes an alpha account will only be able to use skills on the alpha list; effectively, that other training is put in limbo and will not confer any bonuses until it's subscribed again.
- Alpha clones will earn sp at a reduced rate compared to omega clones.
Suffice it to say, this is huge. But not, I suspect, as huge as people believe. In general, I think this change will be a net positive to the gameworld, if CCP makes some small adjustments.